You can actually make MORE money by selling less.
I explain why in this video, or you can scroll down to read about it.
Almost every small business I’ve consulted asks, “Why aren’t people clicking on our posts?” The simple answer is, “because they don’t like your posts.”
I had a clinic that was a medical spa, you know, a place where they do Botox injections. We reviewed their posts, and they couldn’t believe people weren’t
“liking” all the amazing discounts they were posting about.
As humans, we hate being sold to. Why do you think car salesman have such a bad reputation? In 2017, consumers still want to be helped, but not sold to. Car lots have transitioned from, “Let me get you into a car today,” to, “I’ll let you look around, but if you have any questions I’m here for you.”
Let’s look at a smaller scale example. Think about the Facebook friend that you have that is always posting about their small business. It might be a health & fitness product, and they are constantly promoting about it. I know I’ve unfollowed several people because of that, one of them a close friend.
Perhaps you unfollowed a friend that only posts about politics. If you don’t agree with them, it probably feels like they’re always trying to sell you their politics. That is the same thing.
The 80/20 Rule for Posting
I suggest my clients follow the 80/20 rule when it comes to posting. Make sure at least 80% of your posts have no sales pitch in them whatsoever. Then the other 20% you can ask people to take action. I also call this the HBO/QVC rule. Make sure 80% of your content is commercial free (like Game of Thrones) and adds value to the customer’s life, perhaps so much they want to talk about it at work on Monday morning (also like GoT)! Then the other 20% can be commercial content like QVC.
Some quick math – If you post to Facebook 3 times per week, or about 12 times per month. then 10 of your posts should be sales-free zones. That leaves you with two (yes 2!) posts to sell with, so make them good.
Sometimes a business can get away with more than 20% of their posts having sales pitches. I have some restaurant clients, and a lot of the content we use happens to be photos or videos of the food. People like looking at photos of food so it doesn’t feel like a sales pitch, but on some level we are saying, “Does this look delicious? You should come eat it.” I like to call this soft selling. As soon say, “Make your reservations now,” you’re hard selling again.
If you’re a real estate agent, a hard sell would be posting a link to your listing and adding, “Call me today about this house.” A soft sell would be posting a link to your listing and saying, “I wish my house had a kitchen like this!” You’re not asking anyone to take action, but if they click the link and like the kitchen, they’ll likely contact you about seeing the house.
If you are someone who only posts sales pitches on your company’s account, it might be a tough habit to break. Start by asking the following about each post:
Does this help my business or my customer more? If the answer is that it helps your customer, then you’re on the right track.
BTW, 10% off does not count as something that helps your customer more than it helps you. 🙂
Jerry Potter is the Creative Director and CMO for Mastodon Media, as well as the founder of Five Minute Social Media, a YouTube channel that teaches small business owners to maximize their social media marketing. Living in Seattle, he spends his time with his wife and two Tiny Humans, and is on a quest to prove Diet Coke is actually good for him.